Financial contributions from Herefordshire Council for these schemes are to be phased out and should you wish to keep them, BGPC will have to raise the precept (your council tax) to pay for them.
The Lengthsmen and P3 schemes will require contributions from all parish councils as a condition of receiving funding from 1st April 2017. Border Group has 51.1km under the Lengthsman Scheme, and 55.1km under P3 Scheme.
|Lengthsman grant||P3 grant|
|HC contribution||PC contribution||HC contribution||PC contribution|
The P3 Scheme
“The Parish Paths Partnership Scheme (P3) is a signed partnership agreement between a parish council and Herefordshire Council. The parish council receives a grant based on the total length of paths within the parish.” Source Herefordshire Council. To read more click here.
The Lengthsman Scheme
“The purpose of this initiative is to devolve some minor highway works to parish councils. It enables parish councils to identify minor defects and maintenance requirements and, in many instances, repair them with funds allocated by Herefordshire Council.” Source Herefordshire Council. To read more click here.
Examples of the type of work available for delegation under the Lengthsman Scheme include:
- Clear leaves and other debris from gully grid tops and drainage grips
- Clear vegetation from the entrances and exits of highway culverts
Unlit traffic signs
- Ensure legibility and visibility of traffic signs including straightening, cleaning and removing vegetation
- Repaint traditional finger and mileposts
- Verge cutting
- Cut back overgrown hedges encroaching on footways. Strim overgrowth along footways in urban areas
- Paint and repair fences
- Clear foliage blocking the visibility of road traffic signs
- Clear all minor storm debris discharged onto the highway and keep tidy all specified roads
- Nominated task specifically relating to a minor highway maintenance item – as and when agreed by our contractor
Source : Herefordshire Council website